Monday, January 14, 2008

New Beginnings

I'm so excited. I have been teaching piano for about 2 1/2 years now and really enjoy it. But all of my student's have been taking from someone else and have come to me after their teacher has moved. So I always get to pick up somewhere in the middle with their lessons. Tomorrow I start teaching my first true beginner. I haven't met her yet, but her mom sounded great on the phone and is very excited for her daughter to start. She's in 1st grade. I'm thrilled because I get to start from the very beginning and kind of "re-teach" myself some things but also train her to do things the way I want them done. Sounds selfish, but when you teach private lessons, you have your own way of teaching. When you start with someone at the very beginning, you pick out what's important to you fundamentally and really focus on that; you get a chance to help them develop their practice schedules, the intensity with which they approach it, and just learn your way of doing things. Probably doesn't make much sence, but it does to me. So I'm very excited about it.
Also tonight I met with my HS twirling line for the 1st time since football season. It's always fun to work with them a) because they are great twirlers b) because most of the time it's fun and c) I enjoy being part of their lives. And tonight was our 1st practice in 2 months. So I've missed them. And it's just like starting over after having a long break - more new beginnings.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

I just love it that you have a blog, i just so feel so inter connected with all my buds! love ya!